Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Photo Series: The Relationship Series

  

Guillermo Argueta "Interrogation" 2022


Guillermo Argueta "Watching you" 2022

Guillermo Argueta "Timeout" 2022


I chose to do the series by Carrie Mae Weems called, The Kitchen Table Series, 1990, and tried replicating four photos. Four of which I specifically chose because each displayed a strong emotion. These four emotions include being sad, serious, loving, and curious. All these photos meant a lot when taken since they brought up this other side of my son, which I haven't seen. Personally, when I was growing up, I used to hate taking photos. Even if I was in a particular place with my parents or at a family event, my son loves to take pictures, and it can be that he's photogenic like his mother. Or maybe he likes to be the center of attention. One thing for sure is the sheer emotion he can display in a photo. I feel that one of the purposes focused on Weems art was the "black-and-white photographs like mirrors, each reflecting a collective experience: how selfhood shifts through the passage of time; the sudden distance between people, both passable and impassable." Including my son in the pictures expresses the emotions I feel towards him. Especially the photo where I watch over him and hug him to the point I cannot let go. The artist also displays critical relationships within the picture that the eye cannot see through body language. According to Stephanie Eckardt in Carrie Mae Weems Reflects on Her Seminal, Enduring Kitchen Table series, the artist states, "I don't think of them as being necessarily dependent on one another. Rather, they exist side by side, in tandem." This quote perfectly portrays my son's relationship, where he knows I love him, and I know he loves me back. No matter the emotion he feels, I can already feel it. It's simply a parent's intuition of knowing what is wrong and what the child maybe be thinking. I enjoyed making this photo series, even if it wasn't in a particular place or a different country. At times it's not about where you're but who is with you that can make anything memorable. The video Carrie Mae Weems, Untitled (Woman Feeding Bird), The Kitchen Table Series, 1989-90, said, "the kitchen is not a place for food, but it is a place where home happens." This series portrayed that feeling of home. I don't need a special place to take a photo of my son to feel a different way; instead, I have him by my side, displaying a personality that cannot be described with words. It is simple enough for me to capture the moment and know I'm doing the right thing in my heart. Carrie Mae Weems displayed this "Relationship" feeling within this series. I, too, tried expressing it through words and pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment