Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Photo Series: “Memories & Momentous”




“2009”
“Past momentous” 2011
“Cherish” 2013
“Captured momentous” 2016
“Hold” 2022
“New momentous” 2022



Project 1: “Memories & Momentous”



For my photography series I chose to title the series “Memories and Momentous”.  As we continue to develop the idea of how important physical objects are to history, society, and to ourselves we have learned that art and photographs hold a great worth. Art along with photos keep us intact with what is going on around us. Photos capture moments that live on and linger even after we are no longer. They both hold value as they linger and pass on knowledge of events that the next generation and generations after to view. One of my favorite quotes from Susan Sontag’s excerpt On Photography  that correlates with this idea is “to collect photos is to collect the world.”


 In the article “Mickalene Thomas: Photographed, Collaged and Painted Muses”

  It goes into the artist’s painting style and what her work represents stating “Hung around the gallery’s perimeter are Thomas’s large-scale photographs of her black female muses, including herself and her mother, whom she began photographing as an MFA student at Yale, as well as friends and lovers.” While curating and collecting my photos for this project I found that the moments I truly value were those spent around my family and loved one’s; While, still creating the concept of the importance of capturing those moments in a photo and the great value images hold.


From the work of inspirational women such as Carrier Mea Weems, Mickalene Thomas, and Susan Sontag, my theme revolves around culture, beauty background, family and how through photos we are able to capture these moments as capsules.



For my photography Series, I chose three images that were dated back a few years ago as well as incorporating recent photos.Within each photo were moments and times I found myself to be the happiest, from the year of 2009,2010, 2013, 2016,and 2022. For my series I wanted to purposely pick images that consisted of the same two people to consistently set focus on the theme of the series . The images are of me and my cousin. The purpose of the series is to show photos throughout the years and how during those years we evolve and we are able to capture those moments through photos “Photographs really are experience captured, and the camera is the ideal arm of consciousness in its acquisitive mood” (Susan Sontag). When we hold on to these valuable items we are able to look back and reminisce over these photos that bring us different emotions such as joy, hopefulness that we create more of them, and love.




   



No comments:

Post a Comment