Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Photo Series: Stages of Happyness

 





According to MoMA photography curator Eva Respini, "Her work has both certainly responded to and in some ways anticipated the media culture that we currently live in." I completely concur. Today, we see a lot more inventiveness in fashion, art, and photographs. She is undoubtedly a pioneer in her field and has served as an inspiration to many. "Artists are responding to the age of instant celebrity on YouTube, reality TV, and makeovers, where anyone can become anyone at any time. One of the first people to consider the malleability or fluidity of identity was Cindy. Society has altered and even normalized identity in several ways. Due to the LGBTQ+ population and even gender fluidity, it is now acceptable to not fit into societal conventions. Cindy has made a lasting impression on the world, and it is evident. I took these two self portraits at two various points in my life. Thought this would be a nice place to post a picture I took years ago but never shared to social media. It is comparable to a portrait she created many years ago called Untitled Film Stills. In addition, I was in the self-portrait in the second picture where she was costumed as a character. Cindy was breaking the barriers of the art world back then and we have only grown more with it.​ The final two photos are again photos of me at different times in my life. The photos I chose took inspiration from Carrie Mae Weems’ Kitchen Table Series. I really like this series a lot. I looked at it as something that you could always rely on to be there at the end of your day. You see portraits of her with her child, and others with guests. Some by herself as well, being sad or happy. I’d like to think that the kitchen table was the only thing that was truly consistent that is why she made the series. For us to appreciate the little things and the things that are always there. “I believe that strongly, and represent what matters to me: a sense of aspiration, a sense of good will, a sense of hope “ This quote stuck for me because it made me look at the Kitchen Table Series differently. It's a sense of hope, and that was my inspiration for my series as well. Will Smith made a movie titled “Pursuit of Happyness”. In the movie, he is starving for the happiness and consistency in his life like many of us are. That is why I titled my series “ Stages of Happyness “.


No comments:

Post a Comment