Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Photo series 10/5

 

Eternal Pain

Eternal Pain

Eternal Pain

Eternal Pain

My series of photos was influenced by both Carrie Mae Weems and Ana Mendieta. The notable aspects that I took from both photo series are the black and white filter which is related to Carrie Mae Weems and the leaking blood from Ana Mendieta's work. The specific project I was influenced by Carrie Mae Weems is “The Kitchen Table” series because of the way the woman and the daughters' faces tell a story of independence. Also the black and white filter makes it feel as though they are stuck in these emotions and that's something I wanted to portray with my photo series “Eternal Pain”. The title is a play on the word internal as the photos reveal both physical pain and emotional pain. The physical pain is shown through the blood leaking on my forehead while the emotional pain is shown through monotone facial expressions, it shows loneliness and complacency as if there is nothing I can do to heal the pain. Ana Mendieta's untitled (self-portrait with blood) photo series influenced me the most for my photo series, Ana Mendieta used blood in order to get multiple messages across her work. She used something so natural to tell a lot, the blood in her work could be used to speak about violence or a source of power. In “Eternal Pain” I used blood as a symbolism for the pain the subject feels inside. It is pouring down because he can no longer contain the pain but he doesn't show emotion because he feels he can shrug it off. I attempt to have the spectator question why the subject does not seek help and also why he is not receiving any attention. It is because the series also speaks on how as a society no one really makes sure that you are good because we are all caught up in our own business. 


“ To Mendieta, the recording offered a thought-provoking experiment on people’s indifference to violence.”

“In 1980, Mendieta commented that she ‘started immediately using blood, I guess, because I think it’s a very powerful magic thing. I don’t see it as a negative force”


“What do we do with one another”



No comments:

Post a Comment