Tuesday, December 6, 2022

SELF-PORTRAIT FINAL PROJECT

 

Mass Communication


Topic: Evolution/History of Media/Mass communication

The content of my project is about mass communication history or evolution using artistic features or skills I have learned from Mickalene Thomas, Cindy Sherman, Ana Mendieta, and so on. Different creative works or paint influenced my decision to use a clock to discuss the evolution of mass communication or media communication over the years. My project is about mass communication, and I intend to discuss how modern technology has changed or influenced the media.

My work could be categorized as a graphic print, and the reason why I chose this medium to discuss or present my project is that it simply my project and shows my ability to apply everything I learned in the last few weeks. Before deciding to use graphic print to present my idea or project, I first concluded on the project I intended to write on. After making the decision to write on the evolution of mass communication over the years and how modern technology has changed or influenced mass communication, I began to think of how to simplify my idea. Since my project is about the development of mass communication, I thought of using a chart or graphical presentation. Still, through imagination and mediation, I arrived at a juncture. Art can simplify and entertain the audience. This ideology made me use a clock to portray my idea of the evolution of mass communication.

Many artists discussed in class inspired me, especially Frida Kahlo, Cindy Sherman, Amy Sherald, and Kehinde Wiley. Most of their work is on paint or drawing. To draw or paint requires exceptional imagination and meditation skills. Seeing different pictures or paintings from all these artists made it easy for me to develop my drawing and project. 

When a viewer first sees the self-portrait, the thought that crosses their mind is, 'this is a wall clock.' However, after a steady look at the portrait and content, the audience or viewers can deduce the information I am trying to pass across. The audience will understand that the author is trying to explain how mass/media communication has evolved over the years (1440 – 1997). The audience will have a graphical explanation of the transformation of mass communication until today's digital images. My first self-portrait was able to disadvantage modern technology, cellphones using artist display, while the current self-portrait is about the history of mass communication using a wall clock. Both ideas and concepts differ, but I prefer my contemporary self-portrait idea. This change is because of my exposure to and understanding of artistic work. The more artist work I see, the more thought I gather. Gathering more ideas helps improve my creativity and enhance my imagination skill. My ability to produce a more creative self-portray reflects pushing myself and learning from the artists we discussed in class. The media helped shape my self-presentation as I could sample different ideas across the internet. Mass communication has evolved from the use of books, magazines, billboards, radio, film, and television to the social network era. Although some of the inventions are not outdated, modern technology has transformed or improved their usage.

No comments:

Post a Comment