Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Self Portrait Collage

 

"Loneliness" Guillermo Argueta 11/15/22
inspirations




My self-portrait is named "Loneliness," The image displayed is a lone wolf. This was the first time in a long time I sat down and had to contemplate my project. I not only scratched out the original project, but I started back to the beginning. The original art piece was supposed to display three outcomes of my future, but this art piece never clicked in my head. I was left clueless, although given the help. I ripped out many pages, and the glue ruined the original cardboard with the amount of paper left. Instead of buying a new piece, I added layers to cover up the damage. In the end, I was left with mixed dark colors in the back with a bright red color inside with an outline of a wolf. It was a "Reflect sunlight with spooky intensity" as the outcome. (NY TIME 2019)

Wangechi Mutu inspires my collage as I "combined found materials, magazines" (Wangechi Mutu 2013). To be precise, I used a Star Wars magazine and a Haunted House magazine. The Star Wars magazine provided this space background on one half while also providing this bright red color as the sun. On the other half is this more spooky/dark theme. The overall theme of this project is this dark life as a wolf since the wolf scavenges and lives hunting. In the end, the wolf howls to look for family. As a college student, you lose focus on those around you since you always live daily on assignments. You forget about how other people are doing and forget about resting or the type of day it is.

Overall, contemporary media does play a role in identity, cultural and societal norms. The self-portrait collage I made brought a side of me out. This part is being alone in my path, where I'm caught up with work and school (life). At times I forget to speak to close friends and family. Family members have called my mother often asking, "where is your son," and she always replies busy. The same way Miss Mutu's parents felt is the same way I do. She stated in an interview, "the one thing that's always missing—I think it's part of the trauma—is the personal element. My Parents don't often talk about their experiences in terms of how it made them feel" (NY Times 2019). I don't talk to all my close friends or friends. I keep my circle the tightest and keep going on my path to finishing what needs to be done.


No comments:

Post a Comment