Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Self Portrait Collage Project

 

“Cut with the Kitchen Knife
INSPIRATION REFERENCE 


“Progression”
















The title of my college is called “progression”, the title was inspired by Hannah Hoch “Cut With a Kitchen Knife”.The artist’s photomontage reflects her views of the political and social issues that arose during this transitional time in German society, For my collage project I took inspiration from Hannah Hoch and the ideas of surrealism and Dada. I wanted to convey a larger message by touching base on the historical aspects of the Harlem Renaissance by incorporating the artist, poets, and others historical figures during that era.  During this era, New Culture and opportunities in the African community came about in waves and forms of music, dance, art, fashion, literature, theater, politics and scholarship centered in Harlem, during the1920s and 1930s. Dr. Barber states“While mocking Weimar politicians, Cut with the Kitchen Knife also celebrates women’s victories. A map at lower right indicates the countries where women had the right to vote—a right only recently ratified in Germany with the signing of the new constitution in 1918.”in my college I wanted to incorporate that same concept of celebrating the historic milestone by incorporating quotes, art, poems, and figures like Maya Angelo, Arron Dougles, and Jacob Lawrence.


Deborah Kelly, and Frida Kahlo also  helped inspire the self identity aspect of my collage . Frida expresses her own identity through her art using the physiological,mental/emotional, and psychological aspects of herself from past and present experiences “People have an insatiable curiosity with her, and this presentation is a rare opportunity to see how she built her identity” (Morris). I created a digital selfie collage that touches base on real as well as absurd.For my college i used a digital app called procreate. The app allowed me to create, form,and conjunct multiple images to create the collage. This allowed me to form a collage that can be seen as a serialism. Above the head I put two evil eyes using the method of Deborah Kelly. In my culture growing up the evil eye was a representation of protection,I also incorporated the Elephant as well for the same reason. All in all I was very pleased with the overall concept my selfie collage conveyed and was delighted with the overall outcome

No comments:

Post a Comment