Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Powerful Energy

 


"The Color of Beauty"




"My Reflection"


" Glazing"

"The Beauty of Sunset"






For centuries women of color were always undervalued and overlooked for any type of role. Mickalene states, “By selecting women of color, I am quite literally raising their visibility and inserting their presence into the conversation.” Society’s custom is to treat people based on race, gender, and color of skin, especially women. Women of color are underrepresented in the area's profession because the job force has been dominated by men for generations. Mickalene Thomas used black women as a muse to portray women’s power, acceptance, elegance, etc. Women of color were not being photographed at the time because they did not fit the criteria of a beautiful woman. However, Mickalene Thomas only photographed black women to make people see them. Mickalene explains, “By portraying real women with their own unique history, beauty and background, I’m working to diversify the representations of black women in art.” There’s significance in giving women of any background, race, and/or color the opportunity to showcase their art. Representation is fundamental for impact and change for women. Portraying women of all backgrounds and colors show people that there is beauty everywhere. Black women are not always represented as beautiful and elegant. Diversity and representation are so important for women of color because it makes women feel seen and powerful.

 Mickalene wanted to break down gender and race stereotypes and ideologies about women. Women of color were not photographed or filmed to be presented as art but overlooked and never seen. Women wanted to be seen and heard, not feel neglected and undervalued. Mickalene used women who looked like her, black women to display the power behind owning who they are. It’s the kind of art that amplifies how we see each other and gives women control. “Thomas’s jazzy photomontages of women’s limbs and facial features can be construed as commentary on how female bodies are brutally picked apart in contemporary visual culture, “explains that women are being objectified as sexual objects. Society’s ideology for women is all based on their bodies, and how they speak and look. Her photographs were all about women's empowerment and sexual identity. Through my series of portraits inspired by the work of Mickalene, I wanted to show the confidence I feel in my own body. Looking at myself in the mirror is demonstrating the happiness I feel about being myself and not letting society dictate how I should look or act. Mickalene wanted to show that being a woman of color is beautiful so I did the same with my portrait named, “Powerful Energy” that I am beautiful no matter the color of my skin or how I decided to look.




No comments:

Post a Comment