Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Galler Response 1

Guillermo Argueta "PR" 2022

 

Guillermo Argueta "Los Tenis" 2022


Guillermo Argueta "A note" 2022



Ashley Lyon "Mother and Child" 

Ashley Lyon "Blanket"


After going to New Jersey City University Art Gallery, we got to know the artist's personal life, Ashley Lyon. Ashley Lyon has created two recently added artworks to the Art Gallery at New Jersey City University. These two artworks are called "Blanket," made in 2017, and "Mother and Child," made in 2022. At first glance, I saw both artworks and was confused. When I think and hear about art, I imagine a fascinating piece that no one can replicate. I did not see an artwork in Ashley Lyon that blew my mind or had me thinking about how she managed to pull this off. However, I soon discovered that these objects and possessions held meaning beyond their value and status. Both these artworks also had a piece of identity from Ashley Lyon. Then it hit me; these works were just like Cindy Sherman's because many of her works were hard to understand since they had a deeper meaning. As Sherman stated in interviews, "The characters weren't dummies; they weren't just airhead actresses… but I didn't know what." Both art pieces from Ashley perfectly correlated with Cindy Sherman since it was hard to see the purpose of the artwork.

To begin, the first artwork, called "Blanket," is made from "fired clay with mixed media surfacing." The meaning behind this was based on her grandmother, who "was not a traditional woman" because, at 17, she went to college, where she then graduated with her degree and became a doctor. This is massive since society did not view women during the early 1900s as they are today. Women had to fight for their rights. Even after this, women are still being criticized as stereotyped. Ashley Lyon's grandmother not only became a doctor, but I assume she was a first-generation college student that managed the goals of many other students in today's generation. Overall, in this artwork, you can see how much Ashley looks up to her grandmother. This perfectly ties in with Carrie Mae Weems's quote, "Photographs are like memories, each reflecting a collective experience." This quote ties in with Ashley since this blanket holds all her grandmother's accomplishments as a woman who most likely looked crazy to others. Since women during the early era only belonged at home. Ashley made this blanket to explain the impact her grandmother had on her. 

Also, Ashley's second artwork was called "Mother and Child." Ashley based this artwork on her journey of becoming a mother. Ashley explained once she became a mother, she put her art habits on hold while raising her child. She soon had the idea to make one of her best projects a rope, and once again, it's simple artwork that looks to be made quickly, but the meaning behind this rope is "a tangle that cannot be tangled…. no end to the rope." Ashley also compared this to a boat she had in Weehawken; a rope would hold a boat from the dock. She would describe to us how this strong rope would maintain the boat in place and not let it go away." Thus, she created a connection between this rope to her motherhood. This artwork perfectly ties in with Carrie Mae Weems's artwork when she states, "I don't think of them as being necessarily dependent on one another. Rather, they exist side by side, in tandem." Since both Ashley and her child need one another, their functions work well when being one.

The artwork I chose that defined me is a pair of soccer cleats, a note, and my powerlifting belt. Each materialistic item may seem like nothing, but it means much more to me. For example, the soccer cleats displayed were used when I used to play for high school. I was once addicted to the sport since soccer was a consistent habit as a little boy. Being soccer fantastic is my drug to me. I not only love to watch any match, but I will love to teach my son what I know. I chose this paper note because it's a recognition and a forever memory for me to hold for when I became a father. I store this in my sock drawer because I have access to see it every day, and it's always a reminder of one of the blessings in my life. My final item is a powerlifting belt I've owned for two years. Some may view it as a ridiculous item to hold, but I've crushed many personal records with this belt. I started as an average lifter, barely hitting the 225lbs to overcoming it with 405lbs squats and deadlifts with a 245lbs bench while weighing 185 lbs.

To conclude, not everyone can see the deeper meaning of art. As stated in the "Female Gaze: Art that Looks at What Women See, "A portrait does not have to be the image of individuality, conceived as an island no one could access but the portraitist. A portrait can be the way to plunge into the sea of life." Everyone can relate to the art piece being shown when you draw a connection with everyone. The same way Ashley described her connection as a mother is the same I feel with my son. Thus, my favorite art piece is "Mother and Child."

No comments:

Post a Comment