Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Weekly Selfie

 

Home

Frida Kahlo - Self Portrait 1932

"Home"                                                           "Self-Portrait on the Borderline" 


Frida Kahlo incorporated her everyday life into her artwork. She was so transparent with her artwork. She talked about both parts of her life for example she explained her American side and her Mexican side. I cropped a picture of me and my siblings and the background is the pyramids of Giza and an Egyptian flag. I was born and raised in Egypt. I was raised around 40 minutes away from the pyramids, but I never actually went. It reminds me of the last time I went to Egypt which was 8 years ago. The first time I went back was to the place on the side of the picture which is a vacation spot in Egypt. “I never painted dreams. I painted my own reality" Frida mentions she never painted dreams she only painted her own reality and what she is living in now, part of me wishes that my reality was to still live over there or visit there often. I made the picture of me and my siblings small because I was viewing it as us being so far from where our actual home is. “Drawing on personal experiences, including her marriage, her miscarriages, and her numerous operations, Kahlo's works often are characterized by their stark portrayals of pain.” Frida Kahlo was always one to show her pain and what she went through even when she’s painting about her two worlds colliding together. In my life, I would not try to show the different things I would go through especially if it is a painful life event, when I left Egypt to come here although I was young was very different to adapt to because of the language the people, and my parents still having the Arab mindset. “I paint myself because I am often alone, and I am the subject I know best". This is my favorite quote from her because in every painting she had she was alone only time was when she had animals surrounding her but, in a sense, she was still alone. I decided to incorporate my siblings because they are my home they are people I feel great comfort around.  


Mirzoeff Chapter 6: The Changing World: 

 

-       “Even if all emissions were to stop tomorrow, the climate will keep changing for centuries”

-       “There is an inverse relationship between the countries responsible for carbon emissions and those that suffer the consequences”

Mirzoeff discusses climate change, and the effect humans are having on environmental change. He talks about how human activity has changed the levels of carbon in the atmosphere. Mirzoeff believes that human activity has gone too far and that even if we change how we are now with the environment the climate will keep changing all over the world because there has been too much damage done. He goes on to explain that the damage done to the environment doesn’t only damage the environment but also damages people's lives as well. He mentions different parts of the world, for example, Africa being one of the lowest emitters and America having caused drought and different problems because of how much emitters are used. He then starts talking about the impact on animals and how many animals have gone extinct. 

 

 

Amy Sherald

on her Breonna Taylor portrait: 

-       “I wanted this image to stand as a piece of inspiration to keep fighting for justice for her. When I look at the dress, it kind of reminds me of Lady Justice.”

-       “Taylor’s future and how her life was taken from her. “I made this portrait for her family,” says Sherald. “I mean, of course, I made it for Vanity Fair, but the whole time I was thinking about her family.”

Black masculinity:

-       “I go out knowing that there is a state of grace that you want in a painting but not quite knowing what it is.”

-       “a type of self-portraiture. It’s about looking at people who happen to look like me.”

 

Kehinde Wiley

Classic spin on contemporary subjects:

-       “He fetishizes the material process instead of an external story”

-       “For me the landscape is irrational. Nature is the woman nature is the black the brown the other”


Amy Sherald Effect: 

-       “Versions of myself in art history and in the world”

-       “He impresses as somebody's son somebody's brother who is embarking on adulthood with resilient confidence but a good deal yet to learn”




No comments:

Post a Comment